Thursday, March 3, 2011

Toy Review : Family Guy x Kidrobot Series 1 Mini Figure

Just picked up a Family Guy x Kidrobot Series 1 Mini Figure Blind Box. First thing to know is that I've been a Kidrobot fan / collector for many years. The past couple of years, there were so many companies competing for your business which in turn led to purchasing less and less of Kidrobot's products. Is it because my tastes in collecting have changed? Prices? Quality? Uniqueness? Yes, it very well could be. More on this later on another blog. (See what blogs have done to me?)

Review Time!!!
First, we are going to take a look at the box/packaging. Off the bat, great packaging. For the most part, Kidrobot has done a lot of great box/packaging art for their products. I really like the nice touch of adding the sticker to the blind boxes so it may help ward off those who open the blind boxes in the store just to see whats in there and pass on it unless it's a chase figure. But I think there will always be those that can find a way to bypass the sticker through opening the bottom or another way. I think it was a good gesture on Kidrobot's part even though it still won't be too effective on box tampering.
Review continues after the jump...

After opening up the blind box, I got Brian!!! I was pretty happy to get him. He's slightly under 3" tall. He comes with his Martini Glass with Olive and Identification card. Brian is what we call a common figure in the case as he is 2/25 which mean there are 2 of him per case of 25 figures should you purchase and an unsealed case.


This is when things get a bit bad and really makes me sad to see how QC can be so bad on a toy that costs quite a lot for a blind box toy. After inspecting and taking a better look at this figure, I see some paint flaws on the collar, the dog tag is not centered like the picture on the box and does not flow together with the collar. I also noticed (as seen in the picture above) that Brian has a dent/scar on the side of his face. This one is very noticeable. There is another mark as well but not as bad which is a few meters over towards the back of his head. The paint issues, I can overlook but the dents/indentations is something that should never have gotten passed QC.

For $9.95 per blind box, you would think you'd get a pretty flawless figure. Would I take another chance on these? Probably not at regular price. If I can get some for half off or less? Maybe. This is just my opinion and if you are a collector or fan of Family Guy, don't let someone else's opinion make the decision for you. Go with what your gut says. You can still pick these guys up at Kidrobot or selected retailers.

No comments:

Post a Comment