Thursday, January 20, 2011

Kidrobot Dunny Prices

Kidrobot is releasing their newest series of 3" Dunnys today. Azteca 2 blind box will cost $9.95 each. That's a big jump in price but should we really be surprised? I used to be a big supporter for Kidrobot up until the past couple of years when prices jumped a lot for their Dunnys when quality was sub-par and accessories were either missing or you get the incorrect ones. I understand if the price point is high when production is in low numbers but what I don't get is why a series like this is priced so high.  $250 for a case of blind boxes, I expect a pretty complete set which I highly doubt you will get. 

I love blind boxes but when it gets to the point of buying multiple boxes and getting the same one over and over when you eventually have to re-sell it for half the cost you bought it for. It really makes you think and wonder why the f--- am I wasting my money on these when I have to buy multiple cases to get a complete set. I'd rather spend money on something that I can see before I purchase.

I was upset when the Xmas/Holiday Dunny was released. It used to be $9.95 each which was because these would always be limited and sell out instantly. I cringed at the price this past Holiday as the price point was $14.95 each. I'm sure Kidrobot is making a lot more dunnys than they did 3 years ago so with all the price gouging in the past few years have really made me reconsider what I collect. I quit collecting the 8" Dunnys after they started selling for $75 each. Sold off the majority of them and will most likely start selling off the 3" versions next. I was going to keep on collecting the 3" until I saw the price for the Holiday Dunnys and now the Azteca 2.

I guess for Kidrobot, it's all about squeezing every cent out of their fans/supporters/collectors. With the economy the way it is now, you would think maybe they will lower prices instead of raising them. Not everyone is rich and rolling around in money just to throw away. How many people will be buying cases or blind boxes of this latest series? I know some will say well what about their other blind box series like the Simpsons etc... Well those are licensed toys so that's different.

In closing, I was a huge supporter and collector of Kidrobot. I used to go their original store in SF a lot before they did their whole boutique makeover. It was a great atmosphere to be in. A small store with dark wooden floors that creaked and the most friendly staff that made you feel very welcome. Oh those were the days!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment